If you’re looking to make changes to your lifestyle it may seem a little overwhelming. I too was overwhelmed. I had so many things to change. Where do I start? How can I possibly change everything all at once? How would I even remember everything I’m supposed to do to change? Consequently I would put off starting until Monday, but, Monday never came. It wasn’t until I finally decided that I needed to crawl before I could walk. I picked just a few things and starting implementing them right away. Here are a few ideas that could help you make that first step towards a healthier lifestyle.
- Drink more water – Make a conscious effort to drink the recommended 8-10 glass a day. Remember sodas, coffee and other beverages like this are not included in water intake. Actually many of them have caffeine which works in reverse wreaking havoc on your water balance.
- Exercise – This was a hard one for me, I was exhausted and my time (or so I thought) was limited. Pick something that you can work into your lifestyle and always remember a little exercise is better than no exercise at all. At first I worked in a few short 10 minute walks throughout my day to get started and eventually worked in two 30 minute Yoga sessions per day.
- Reduce stress – There are many different things we can do to reduce stress but for me the biggest thing I had to learn to say no more often. I’m guilty of wanting to be everything to everyone and always putting myself last. By saying no more often made me feel less pressured to get it all done. AND it gave me more free time to easily work in more exercise.
- Get more sleep – We all burn the candle at both ends leaving us exhausted and craving carbs. At first I thought it would be impossible, regardless I made a promise to myself that I would start with a couple of nights a week getting a full 8 hours. It wasn’t long after I was making sure of it 7 days a week!
- Meditate, Meditate, Meditate – Our lives are filled with chaos and craziness which makes it hard for us to shut things off. Learning to meditate can bring clarity, control and peace of mind back into your life.
There are many things you can do on your quest for a healthier lifestyle. What to choose and how to work it into your routine can seem tedious and frustrating. My only hope is to break down a few simple ideas that you can take away and start working on today. Once you have worked them into your routine and mastered them, you will be ready and excited to start taking on more. And before long, you will start to see yourself making healthier choices everyday all day without realizing. What are you waiting for? Pick a few and get started today!