“I’ve never really worked out before and I want to start, but where do I begin? I can’t afford a gym membership, much less a trainer. I wouldn’t even know where to begin with fitness training on my own. It all seems so overwhelming! Help!” These are all too common complaints. Sometimes starting something new seems like so much effort that we give up before we even begin. Well, there are resources for you to ease into your new workout program. Certainly do not begin any fitness program without first doing your research to avoid injury. Fitness training is within your reach! No need to feel discouraged!
There is an infinite amount of fitness training information available online, including:
- Videos or photos of each exercise to ensure proper form
- Downloadable workout routines
- Online personal trainers
- Workouts for every fitness activity imaginable
- Exercises programs for Men or Women
- Search sites such as: exercise.about.com, videofitness.com, exercisetv.tv, fitsugar.com, aolhealth.com/fitness, fitnessonline.com, askthetrainer.com, myfit.com and freetrainers.com.
Workout DVD’s & Videos
Exercise DVD’s, workout videos and books are great for showing form and explaining the exercises in detail.
- The fitness level should be noted as to beginner, intermediate or advanced.
- There are workout DVD’s, videos and books available for any sport or fitness activity imaginable.
- Exercise videos are best resourced online, like at Amazon.com, or at a larger bookstore, like Barnes & Noble.
Fitness Magazines & Books
Fitness magazines are an excellent resource for detailed exercise routines.
- Read about cardio and weight training for all levels of fitness.
- Most will include photos of each exercise being performed.
- There is a wide variety of fitness magazines available at your local grocery, drug and book stores. Quite a few also have online versions available.
- Try Shape, Fitness, Self, Men’s Fitness and Men’s Health.
Gym memberships can be an option you thought unattainable due to cost, but you may be surprised.
- Many gyms frequently run membership specials and may also be willing to work out a deal you can afford. Don’t be afraid to ask!
- Gyms normally have trial memberships available, good for a week or more of unlimited visits. This is great to see if the gym is a good fit for you, as well as to gain some free advice.
- Gyms will have professional trainers available to teach you how to properly use the equipment.
- The gym personnel can also recommend what classes are good for beginners.
- Ask questions — that’s why they are there!
Ask Exercise Advice
Ask friends, who have bodies you admire, what they do for exercise. They’ll be flattered you asked and may even help you get started.
- You will need a pair of sneakers suitable for your activity of choice. A cross-trainer is a good alternative if you plan to do a variety of activities and only want to invest in one pair. Check with your local sporting goods store for knowledgeable advice as to what type of shoe is best for you.
- You’ll want to wear form-fitting workout clothes suitable for your exercise of choice.
- Baggy clothes may seam comfortable, but don’t move with us and thus are restrictive during exercise.
- Fitness clothing with some stretch is best for active workouts.
- If fitness training outdoors, dress for the weather — light layers for chilly weather, moisture wicking fabrics for warm weather.
- Workout clothing for men & women is available at sporting goods stores, Target, K Mart, department stores and online at sites like: Athletica.net, Lululemon.com, NewBalance.com
Start with something simple and accessible, like walking.
- When you are comfortable with walking at a steady pace, increase your pace or add hills to your route.
- Vary your walking route to beat boredom.
- Walk with a friend and push one another to walk faster and further.
- If you would like to invest in one piece of cardio equipment for the home, a treadmill is an excellent choice. Treadmill walking is excellent exercise, can be done by people of all ages and fitness levels and is a great when the weather is undesirable for outdoor walking.
- There are many walking DVD’s and videos available to enhance your treadmill experience, like Scenic Trex Beachside Jungle and Rainforest.
Once you have done your research and realize all the fitness training resources available to the exercise beginner, you can begin your workouts safely and have fun adding new activities to your day! You soon won’t be able to imagine your life without exercise!